links for 2006-08-06


What's an American biscuit abroad?

that post was a lot of fun! A lot of misinformation in there too. This is my own take (I was going to leave a comment on metafilter itself but I had to pay $5 to do so and I think that kind of sucks!):

American Biscuit = British Scone
(I never put sugar in my scones)

English biscuit - all kinds of cookies and much, much more.

American Scone = Kind of like a 'rock cake'

In England an 'English muffin' is simply a 'muffin'

In England a 'muffin' is an 'American muffin' or a blueberry muffin or a whatever muffin.

A pikelet is different to a crumpet in that it is larger and thinner than a crumpet.

A scotch pancake has nothing to do with either pikelets or crumpets. Oh man, I miss scotch pancakes.

A US cupcake in is closest to a fairy cake in England.

ok,I think that it is all for now...

I have also seen American style pancakes being called "flapjacks" in the UK...while pancakes are more like crepes, since they can be rolled up with sugar and lemon juice...(starts drooling...)

So when are you going to post your recipe for Scotch pancakes Sam? :)

American biscuits are a bit like scones but I think a different texture somehow...more doughy, while scones tend to be a bit more crumbly...

And then there are beaten biscuits...

hey maki - this is what i think of a flapjack:
(scroll down to the bottom)
I can't really believe a Brit would call an american pancake a flapjack, since the flapjacks we are brough up on are hard, chewy oatmeal biscuits (or cookies, rather).

I love english pancakes with lemon and sugar. Of course I have blogged that too!