Since I started my whole get fitter/lighter process  last month, I haven’t ingested much sugar. I didn’t avoid it entirely, but was using quite small quantities - a spoonful of jam here, a bit of honey there, that sort of thing. (It’s also hard to avoid all sugar in Japanese cooking - a bit is often added to enhance the flavor.)
I never had a big sweet tooth to start with, so I didn’t really miss sugary snacks that much in a physical sense. But I did miss the whole idea and process of making something sweet, of the house filling up with those smells. Besides, Valentine’s Day is coming up this week and that means chocolate!
So an afternoon of experimentation followed, which resulted in the spiced chocolate cupcakes . The cupcakes were divine, and I overindulged and had three in a row.
What happened right afterwards was quite odd. I almost felt like I had smoked some pot or something. I felt lightheaded, the room was swimming slightly, I saw some odd flashes of color, and my speech got rather slurred. This all went away after flopping on the sofa for a good half hour or so. Still, it was a slightly scary sensation.
I suppose I’ve weaned myself away from sugar enough that it was causing this? Or was it the combination of sugar and the chocolate? Next time I talk to a doctor I’ll have to remember to ask about it.