For Lesson 2, we are going to cover the all-important subject of cooking rice. So, from the list of pantry ingredients for the course , you’ll need:
- Japanese type rice (uncooked) - this is your one and only critical ingredient for the week. Please read the instructions on the pantry list post carefully for exactly what to get.
- A packet of microwave rice - as a baseline for what Japanese rice should look, feel and taste like
You’ll also need the following equipment:
- A fine-mesh sieve, as described on the pantry list post
- A bowl
- A rice paddle is not critical, but handy to have
- A cooking implement for cooking the rice, which can be one of the following:
- A rice cooker
- A heavy bottomed pot, like a cast iron pot, with a tight fitting lid
_ A large (at least 10 inches or 25cm diameter) frying pan, with a tight fitting lid
If you’d like to try the bonus how-to, how to prepare proper sushi rice, you will also need:
- rice vinegar
- salt and sugar
- dashi as prepared in Lesson 1 , or dashi granules, or kombu
- Equipment: a sushioke or handai (a large, wooden bowl for mixing sushi rice) is ideal, but a large bowl will do too. Plus a rice paddle and a handheld fan or a hairdryer.
- Plus toppings of your choice, such as smoked salmon and cucumber, or some sashimi-grade tuna or other sashimi-grade fish.
And that’s it! It should be a very interesting lesson!